WEDNESDAY 4 NOVEMBER 2015
- Suella Fernandes: Will DfID Secretary provide funding to support the work of the Save a Child’s Heart charity in Holon, Israel?
Commons Written Answers
- Baroness Tonge: What representations have HMG made to the government of Israel following the September UN OCHA Bulletin report that Israel has added additional restrictions on the entry of wood into Gaza, and that those restrictions have impeded the Catholic Relief Services’ installation of prefabricated wooden housing units to serve as transitional shelter solutions for the winter?
- Baroness Tonge: What discussions have HMG had with the government of Israel about the level of collective punishment being imposed on Palestinians by both Jewish settlers and the Israeli Defence Forces, and in particular about the use of live fire in East Jerusalem and the West Bank?
- Lord Hylton: What is HMG’s estimate of the number of (1) Israelis, and (2) Palestinians, killed and wounded in sectarian violence in the last year; and are they making representations to the parties concerned? [ed: NB extract from minister’s reply:
“According to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs website, from 1 January 2014 to 19 October 2015 there were 2373 Palestinian fatalities and 23,442 injured. In that same period of time there were 98 Israeli fatalities.”]
- Lord Hylton: What assessment have HMG made of whether (1) medical personnel, (2) ambulance crews, and (3) journalists, have been unlawfully attacked in the last year in Israel and Palestine, and how many of each group have been injured in that period?
- Baroness Tonge: What representations have HMG made to the government of Israel about the bulldozing of agricultural land owned by Palestinian farmers near the city of Nablus in the West Bank to open new roads to connect Jewish outposts and settlements south of the city?
- Baroness Tonge: What representations have HMG made to the government of Israel following the September UN OCHA Bulletin report that Israel had demolished a two-storey building in Area A of the West Bank during a search and arrest operation in Jenin refugee camp and damaged an adjacent home, displacing four people? [ed: extract from NB minister’s reply: “As of 14 September, in 2015, 393 Palestinian-owned structures were demolished in Area C and a further 56 in East Jerusalem.”
- Baroness Helic: What assessment have HMG made of the impact of the Middle East Quartet Representative on the prospects for peace between Israel and Palestine; what are the identified successes and failures; and what was the cost to the public purse of supporting the office of the Representative in each of the last eight financial years?
- Baroness Helic: What plans are for the appointment of a new Middle East Quartet Representative; and what is the timeline for any such appointment?
Nos 2-9 Lords Written Answers
- Enterprise Bill debate:
– Lord Mendelsohn: We welcome the appointment of the former British ambassador to Israel, Matthew Gould, who will have a key role in cybersecurity inside the Cabinet Office—a very useful and important position.
Lords Grand Committee
TUESDAY 3 NOVEMBER 2015
- At the weekly meeting of the Backbench Business Committee, Philip Lee, Lisa Cameron, Stephen Phillips and Seema Kennedy
asked for an all-day general debate on Middle Eastern issues, with a substantive motion on each, even though they are inter-related.
– Philip Lee: “The impact of Israel and Palestine, whichever side you sit on the argument, has an impact on the region.” [extract]
http://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/583af5e3-89d2-4bee-a364-c4df592ab641 @ 14:59:20
MONDAY 2 NOVEMBER 2015
- Lord Ahmed: What assessment have HMG made of reports regarding increasing violence towards Palestinians by Israeli troops?
- Lord Ahmed: Have HMG provided any advice to (1) the Palestinian authorities, and (2) the government of Israel, regarding the peace plan or the two-state solution?
Nos 1-2 Lords Written Answers