Much direct and indirect evidence shows clearly that Israel is in possession of a large nuclear arsenal, together with chemical and biological weapons, and the means of delivering them over long distances.
Israel has not joined the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), of which every other state in the Middle East is a member, and has also refused to support a proposed Fissile Material Cut-Off Treaty, designed
to prohibit the further production of fissile material for nuclear weapons. Israel has signed but not ratified the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty. This means that Israelis the only nation in the world that has not joined any of the major treaties dealing with nuclear weapons.
PSC joins CND in making the following demands:
- The UN IAEA should inspect facilities at Dimona and other relevant sites in Israel for Weapons of Mass Destruction and report its findings to the Security Council with specific recommendations on verification and monitoring.
- The UK government and the European Union should put pressure on Israel to achieve Israeli compliance with and ratification of the NPT, CWC, BTWC and support negotiation of a FMCT.
- The UK government and the EU should actively support and promote a WMD-free zone in the Middle East
- Israel’s development of military space technology should be actively opposed by the UK government and the EU.
- An embargo must be imposed on the sale of all UK and EU relevant military equipment to, and purchases from Israel and all military contacts are broken off until Israel’s compliance is achieved.
To find out more read our Weapons of Mass Destruction factsheet