This week MPs and Peers discussed concern about the Israel Forces breaking into the offices of Palestinian human rights organisations; the UK’s controls of arms exports to Israel and what cost rebuilding Gaza after Israel’s latest onslaught.
WEDNESDAY 9 JANUARY 2013
Participation of Arabs in Public Life: Lord Lea of Crondall: Lack of Arab participation in Lords contrasts sharply with strong contribution by Lords “with more affinity with Israel”, given that the two communities in Britain are roughly the same size. [Baroness Warsi says she would welcome a member of the Arab community becoming a member of the HoL] Lords Oral Question
TUESDAY 8 JANUARY 2013
1. Sir Bob Russell: Asks Business Secretary what steps he took to ensure that weapons sold to Israel could not be used for internal repression. [Michael Fallon lists relevant criteria] Commons written answer
– Lord Palmer of Childs Hill asks if we can keep out of Israel/Palestine; asks for Minister’s assessment of Iron Dome, I-D-plus and ID-plus-plus.
– Lord Rosser: Will Israel strike Iran’s nuclear facilities.
– Lord Astor of Hever: UK has no plans to develop national ballistic missile defence capability.
3. Baroness Tonge: What is the cost of the UK contribution to reconstruction in Gaza following Operation Pillar of Cloud? Lords Written Answer
4. Baroness Tonge: What representations have HMG made to Israel about their treatment of Gazan fishermen? Lords Written Answer
5. Baroness Tonge: What discussions did HMG have with Israel on any long-term ceasefire with Hamasbefore recent hostilities started? Lords Written Answer
6. Baroness Uddin: What assessment have HMG made of the impact of raids by Israeli forces on offices of Palestinian NGOs?
7. Baroness Tonge: What recent discussions have HMG had with Israel on recommendations in the FCO report Children in Military Custody?
8. Baroness Tonge: What representations have HMG made to Israel on inability of farmers in Jayyous to access their land because of the barrier?
9. Lord Hylton: What has been the total cost of Tony Blair and his staff as Quartet ME Envoy and what is the UK share of that cost?
10. Lord Hylton: Will HMG make representations to Israel about access to Old City of Jerusalem for pilgrims and students from the WB, Jordan and Israel?
Nos 5-10 Lords Written Answer
11. Baroness Tonge: What discussions have HMG had with Israel on the break-in at offices of Addameer and other community organisations in Ramallah? Lords Written Answer
MONDAY 7 JANUARY 2013
1. Stephen Hammond attended Brussels Transport Council on 20 December, where Israel was unable to sign aviation agreement with EU and member states “due to internal political reasons”. “The Commission hoped Israel would be in a position to sign shortly after national elections in the spring 2013.”
[Commons Written Statement]
2. John Glen: Will Foreign Secretary make representations to his counterpart in Israel on building of a military academy on the Mount of Olives?
3. John Glen: What recent representations has Foreign Secretary made to Israel on the building of Israeli settlements near Bethlehem?
4. Jeremy Corbyn: Asks which aid projects DfID funded in Area C in last three years? [Alan Duncan: None exclusively] [Commons Written Answers]