4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
At 3am last night, Israeli security forces raided the Salhiya family house in Sheikh Jarrah, arresting and injuring multiple family members. After the family – who have lived in the house since 1956 – refused to be expelled, Israeli troops barricaded then stormed their home. By dawn, only the rubble remained.
Over 1500 Palestinians currently live under the threat of home demolitions in occupied Jerusalem. In May of last year, Sheikh Jarrah was the flashpoint from which began the most significant period of protest in Palestine for a generation, now known as the Unity Intifada.
Israel believes that now, whilst the world’s attention is turned away, it can expel the Sheikh Jarrah families one by one. But Palestinians are coming together to resist this threat of ethnic cleansing, just as they did last May.
We must support their grassroots resistance by demanding our own Governments hold Israel accountable for its actions that amount to the crime of apartheid. It’s time to mobilise for Palestine once more. In addition to the emergency protest taking place on Friday, we have organised a Twitterstorm.
JOIN OUR TWITTERSTORM
Today – Wednesday 19th January
Tweet from the templates below, replacing the tagged handle at the beginning with your appropriate consulate/embassy. You can also use the images below to accompany them! If you create your own tweets, make sure to use the #SaveSheikhJarrah hashtag.
National Consulates/Embassies in Jerusalem
- Last night, Israel demolished the home of the Salhiya family in Sheikh Jarrah, leaving the family refugees a 2nd time. Our Govs allow the apartheid state to carry out its ongoing ethnic cleansing of Palestinians with impunity. @UKinJerusalem, we demand action. #SaveSheikhJarrah
- Israel has waited for the world to stop watching in order to expel the families of Sheikh Jarrah. We won’t look away, and we demand consequences for these crimes of apartheid. @UKinJerusalem you must take action #SaveSheikhJarrah
- There are 1500+ Palestinians currently living under threat of home demolitions in occupied Jerusalem. Al Salhiya family bravely faced down this threat & were met with violence, arrest & demolition. @UKinJerusalem, what are you doing to hold Israel accountable? #SaveSheikhJarrah
- We must stand in full, unwavering solidarity with those resisting apartheid – @UKinJerusalem we demand immediate repercussions for Israel’s destruction of the Salhiya family home & its ongoing ethnic cleansing of Palestinians from the Naqab to Sheikh Jarrah #SaveSheikhJarrah
It’s time to mobilise for Palestine once more. I will be joining PSC on the streets of London this Friday #EndEthnicCleansing #SaveSheikhJarrah #SaveAlnaqab
Full protest info: http://bit.ly/SaveSheikhJarrahProtest
- London based? Join PSC on the streets this Friday as we come together to demand #EndEthnicCleansing #SaveSheikhJarrah #SaveAlnaqabFull protest info: http://bit.ly/SaveSheikhJarrahProtest