7:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Church Centre - Ground Floor
St Mary’s Watford, Church Street
International Women’s Day
Free event, featuring guest speaker Taysir Arbasi, Zaytoun Palestinian Director
Themes for discussion:
- International Women’s Day (IWD)
- Ahed Tamimi and Palestinian children prisoners
Organised by Watford Friends of Palestine & Watford Fair-Trade
(IWD) was first celebrated by the Socialist Party of America in honour of the 1908 garment workers’ strike, where 15,000 women marched through New York demanding voting rights, better pay and better working conditions.
IWD celebrates the social, economic, cultural and political achievement of women.
We stand in solidarity with Palestinian women who hold families and communities together while challenging the illegal Occupation of Palestine.
FREE PALESTINIAN CHILDREN
END ILLEGAL ARRESTS
Ahed Tamimi was arrested for challenging IDF members that invaded her home and assaulted her family with impunity.
Approx. 700 Palestinian children as young as 12 are detained & prosecuted every year in Israeli military courts, in violation of international law.
There is widespread evidence that every month Palestinian child prisoners are:
- Arrested at night, forcibly removed from their homes and families without access to legal advice or independent adult supervision.
- Hands are tied with plastic ties and they are blindfolded.
- Subjected to coercive interrogations, often accompanied by verbal and/or physical abuse and many are shown/sign documents written in Hebrew and detained inside Israel in contravention of the Fourth Geneva Convention.
We call on the UK Foreign Secretary and Ambassador to Israel to demand:
- End to Israel’s night time raids, illegal arrests and violence
- Lawyers, parents and video cameras present in all interrogations
- Stop transferring children to prisons in violation of the Geneva Convention