10:30 am - 5:00 pm
Friends meeting house
Saturday 9th April 2016 10.30 – 5.00
Quaker Meeting House 10 St James Street Sheffield S1 2EW
we CAN and we WILL challenge corporate power
as seen by this announcement:
“G4S, the British-Danish security conglomerate, announced on Thursday morning that it will sell its Israeli subsidiary, responsible for providing security equipment, control rooms, and surveillance devices for Israeli prisons, checkpoints, police training centres and military compounds that play a critical role in the imprisonment, oppression and colonization of Palestine and Palestinians.”
The announcement is a clear recognition of the growing strength and power of the Boycott Divestment and Sanctions movement (BDS).
The fact that G4S are making concessions makes the day school more important than ever – for us to step up the campaign to make G4S get out NOW, not if and when they sell their business.
G4S continues to be involved in human rights abuses not only in Palestine.
G4S runs privatised juvenile detention facilities in the UK, which it has also pledged to sell, after being exposed for abuse and neglect.
G4S runs the health facilities in Yarlswood women’s detention centre in the UK; again exposed by the BBC for racist abuse.
G4S runs substandard housing for people seeking asylum in South Yorkshire.
In order to make sure that G4S’ pledges become reality, now is the time to escalate the global campaign to stop G4S: to demand the United Nations, European Commission, and all public agencies cancel their G4S contracts and build boycotts and divestments against this corporation profiteering from Palestinian misery.
During the day there will be contributions from:
- Corporate Watch on the way G4S is organised and the corporate complicity of G4S.
- Cllr Mick Bowman (Newcastle) and Stop G4S campaign activists on legality of ethical procurement policies, local democracy and devolution.
- South Yorkshire Migration and Asylum Action Group campaign on G4S housing contracts.
- The Community Action on Prison Expansion Campaign on corporations profiting from caging human beings.
- War on Want on G4S and the Prison Industrial Complex in Palestine.
- Palestine Boycott National Committee on International campaigns against G4S
- Martin Mayer on Labour’s National Executive Committee decision to stop using G4S for their Party Conferences.
Please let us know at Group4campaign@gmail.com if you will be attending.
We don’t have any funding for travel but if you need assistance please let us know.
Also please let us know if you or your organisation can “sponsor” the event, in principle and/or with some financial support – please contact the same email for further details.
Sponsors include: War on Want; Stop G4S Campaigns; Boycott Israel Network; SYMAAG; PSC Branches.